The Sydney Women in Engineering committee is looking for passionate members across New South Wales. The core aim of the committee is to connect engineering women by promoting an inclusive culture through community involvement. We aim to capture women in engineering at all levels:
- Early career
- Senior leadership
We do this through:
- Outreach activities e.g. attracting women into the profession
- Learning opportunities for furthering your career
- Networking opportunities
- Providing career advice e.g. career break panel discussion
- Opportunity to listen to and speak with leaders in our industry
- Collaboration with other committees and industry bodies with similar objectives
In the past year we have adapted to a challenging period and delivered programs and content to communities. This has included panel discussions covering the role of men in engineering, sessions with industry leaders on the meaning of success and work with school students to ignite their passion for engineering.
The Sydney WIE Commitee holds monthly one-hour online sessions and our roles range from marketing to administration and support. We work closely as a committee throughout the year and are motivated to reach our objectives and make a difference across industry and our community.
Committee Roles and Responsibilities
The committee is responsible for:
- The overall administration and running of the Sydney WIE organisation
- Representing WIE Sydney Division as required throughout Engineers Australia organisation
- Planning the group’s direction
- Liaising with Engineers Australia office, both at Division and National level
- Promotion and support of Women in Engineering and Engineers Australia
All positions have a tenure of one year, with the exception of the Chair and Vice Chair, which are two-year tenures. Committee members can expect a time commitement of 2-3 hours per week.
In addition to the general roles listed in the '2021 WIE Committee Roles' pdf attachment, most committee members also take on the responsibility of coordinating one event during the year.