Learn about Thisuri's internship experience and the career development skills she's gained in the professional work environment.
Name: Thisuri Weerasinghe
Course & University: Bachelor of Science (Civil Engineering), University of Melbourne
Graduation: 2023 (expected)
- What types of things were you involved with during your internship?
Preparing project documentation like scope and feasibility documents, risk registers, scope matrices, payment applications etc. Checking drawings and preparing site markups. Using AutoCAD to adjust drawings and set-up title blocks. Participate in meetings to review project designs and discuss project progress.
- What opportunities has your internship given you?
Introduced me to the defence sector and gave me an opportunity to work outside of my academic discipline.
- What advantages has completing the internship given you?
Use of software: AutoCAD, Bluebeam Technical knowledge: how to compile project documents and apply industry standards Industrial knowledge: Other companies involved in defence and major projects taking place within the sector and networking opportunities.
- What was the biggest challenge you faced during your internship?
After the first week of the internship, we had to move to remote work overnight due to a snap lockdown.
- What was the main thing that you learnt during your internship that you’ve since been able to apply to your professional life/studies?
Attention to detail when putting together formal documents of any nature. Eg: project documents, university assignments, and CVs.
- What are the ways Engineers Australia helped you throughout the internship process?
Being part of the student ambassador program helped me develop my network. When I was applying for this internship, an Engineers Australia (EA) staff member wrote a reference letter for me, which really helped. And through my involvement with Engineers Australia, I had met a Young Engineers Australia (YEA) member who had previously worked at Lucid,
and they helped me through the recruitment stage as well.